Weed control is a really painful issue for every summer resident. Therefore, we decided to immediately consider the topic and find the best ways to deal with weeds in the garden. So, the advice of professional summer residents on this matter.
There are many contradictions about the preparation of the soil for planting a variety of crops, fertilizers and their application rates, cleaning and digging. We have repeatedly raised topics about how to dig in the garden, to what depth, how to remove weed roots from the beds and destroy them outside the cottage. But this spring, we talked with several professionals, whose common experience totals dozens of years of summer cottage, and most interestingly, we found out facts that really require discussion. So, we give reasons, but only you decide whether to act by classical methods or use new ideas to destroy plants that we do not need.
How to remove maximum weeds from the cottage
The best way to harvest weeds is physical, by digging the soil and harvesting roots and tops, seed boxes. Timely cleaning of the soil from the ground part of plants during the warm season, as well as harvesting rhizomes during autumn digging or spring work, can minimize the number of weeds in the future. But not everyone welcomes this opinion.
There really is something to think about, because digging the soil, we raise seeds to the surface from the depths of it, which, getting moisture, aerated and illuminated by the sun, sprout very quickly. In a week you will again have to wield glanders in the garden or palisade. But this fact has the right to life only in the summer cottages of those of us who dig without cleaning, so you should think about the correctness of the process.
Chemistry of weeds: is it worth it
When preparing a certain area for work with landscapes, for laying tracks or building small summer houses, it is quite advisable to use chemical agents, since many of them burn roots qualitatively, kill seeds, and also fight soil infections and insects. But remember that this method kills all life on the site, and if such preparation is prior to planting, then the site may not grow anything. The introduced chemicals remain in the soil for a long time and negatively affect garden crops, flowers, ornamental plants. Therefore, the use of chemicals to control weeds should only be in certain cases.
Weed control in the country with herbicides
Practical weed control
Practical methods are recent inventions, as well as classic methods of preparing the soil and protecting it, which make it possible to grow plants in the most cleared of weed areas.
Here it is worth recalling the cultivation of vegetables, berries and herbs on vertical structures, in crates, greenhouses, under film, on hydroponics, in separate greenhouses, in well-mulched soil, and so on.
We recommend that you pay attention to such methods, because they give each summer resident the opportunity to remove a maximum of weeds from the dacha, while spending a minimum of time and effort.
Let's try to optimize the work and make sure that not weedy but cultivated plants grow on the beds. We begin the struggle for a quality crop.
How to deal with weeds in the country correctly: expert advice
Today we decided to make a so-called knowledge slice, put together the best methods of struggle, and also recall some preventive measures that will allow us not to fight these plants, but simply help them not to grow.
- We start with the controversial opinion, which was already mentioned above: to dig the beds or not? Here it is worth starting from the appointment of beds, your requirements, the selected plants. After all, digging is carried out to increase soil aeration, so that in winter the land “cleansed” of infections and insects, to absorb fertilizers into the fertile layer, and so on. But at the same time, on warmer days or already closer to spring, such a digging may not be beneficial. The choice is yours to make, but the decision must be balanced.
- Next, we want to point out the opinion of many farmers and summer residents who claim the accuracy of point fertilizer. That is, it is necessary to fertilize the soil immediately before planting, and it is in those places where the planting takes place. In addition, further feeding can be done during the season, but not in advance, so as not to stimulate the growth of weeds.
- The correct opinion is early spring harvesting of the first weeds, drying them outside the country house and burning. But one harvesting will not be enough, it should become systematic in order not only to reduce the number of weeds, but also to prevent them from returning at the moment when you give a weak spot. Therefore, a sharp shovel and glanders should always be ready, this has not been canceled.
- Soil mulching has long been used by us to preserve moisture, but it is also used against weeds. Therefore, it would be nice to lay needles or straw on a cleaned bed, a layer of about 7-10 cm. You can also use sawdust or bark, passed through the chopper. It's okay if you do this before planting plants, this process stops the development of weeds well. By the way, the method can also be used in the garden, falling asleep with tree-trunk quality mulch.
- Let's recall the black plastic film that many of us already use on beds with zucchini, paprika, tomatoes, and herbs. The film is spread on the bed and covers its entire surface. Only in the seedlings of crops should slots be made for normal growth.
- Can be used to destroy weeds and dinghy plants, which, with their root system and dense coating, gradually displace uncultured guests from the garden. They can be planted between shrubs, near trees, on the slopes of garden ridges.
- There is also an opinion that cereal plants help a lot in the fight, if they are planted in rows to seal the main plantings. In some cases, the grown greens mow, but sometimes it is given the opportunity to rise to protect the plantings from the burning sun.
- Sometimes, to remove weeds, it is necessary to regulate the composition of the soil. For example, to get rid of some mosses, a mixture of river sand with urea and vitriol, in a ratio of 5: 1: 1, is used, it will get rid of wood lice, and normalize the acidity of the soil, the well-known mixture of ash and lime will help.
- It is important to understand what the proper watering of plants is. Here, the main thing is not only knowledge of agricultural technology, but also the use of modern equipment. Drop watering, by the way, will help not only save water and reduce costs, but also supply water only to those plants that should be watered. Weeds will not receive life-giving moisture.
A small set of tips will help you deal with weeds in the country more efficiently, so we recommend you listen and make certain conclusions.
A simple way to control weeds
Special control measures
In addition to the classic and new methods of killing and preventing the emergence of weeds, there are additional measures that will help clear the soil and help us grow crop crops, rather than a whole bunch of weed tops.
Soil etching, burning
Earlier we said that we did not have a very positive attitude to chemical tillage in the country, but sometimes there is simply no other way out, especially when the weeds are in full swing at the beds and cultivated plants have not even sprouted. In this case, many recipes are used, but solutions based on potassium or salt are considered the most effective. Also, a solution of ammonium nitrate can also be used. In this case, it is worth remembering that when working with home-made chemicals, or with stronger substances, you need to use not only personal protective equipment, but also the manufacturer's instructions and expert advice. Never start work without protection, never overdose or change recipes yourself, store chemicals in hard-to-reach places, use them only for their intended purpose.
Proper use of beds
Always use the beds somehow, because where there are no cultivated plants, nothing prevents the development of weeds. Plant grass or flowers, if this season you are not in the garden, clear the soil and cover it with foil, if you are not going to plant anything in the near future. Remember, it is very important to constantly cultivate the soil, to prevent long breaks between the preparation of the garden and the planting of cultivated plants.
Seedlings or seeds?
While plant seeds make their way through the soil, young weeds are already flaunting on the surface, so preference should be given to seedlings rather than planting by seeds. Stronger and more viable seedlings will not be so clogged with weeds, especially if you additionally help her in a difficult struggle.
Crop rotation and continuous rotation
Rotation of crops is necessary not only because of their replacement in the garden, but also in order to reduce the concentration of weeds. Thanks to the right schemes, you have the chance to seriously reduce the number of unnecessary plants and increase the yield of tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant and other garden plants.
These measures will help not only destroy weeds, but also improve the quality of the soil, arrange it for planting and harvest, optimize for certain plants.
Quality weed control
Soil preparation and weed control are important points in the summer cottage business, which will help to achieve high results and a good harvest. Try to pay maximum attention to your garden, because any cultivated plant loves caring, and gladly thanks the summer resident with a harvest in case of quality protection and care. But weeds are not only harmful, but also benefits.