We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
It is believed that tomatoes grown by the method of "upside down", bring more crop. But it’s not only the harvest - such tomatoes are superior to their standard counterparts on the decorative side. They look perfect in salads, summer dishes, side dishes and fortified preservation. Well, let alone such a placer decorate a summer cottage or balcony without a doubt.
What is the essence of technology
For our compatriots, this technology is not too familiar, but once seeing this beauty in the garden, I want to decorate my site with it.
Why is the harvest richer if you apply this way? This can be explained by a better airing escape and, most importantly, less stress. True, not all varieties are suitable for this technology. Miniature tomatoes and tomatoes that can be bred in containers - that’s what you can really grow upside down.
Such tomatoes are grown in a variety of containers, but most often used plastic buckets of 20 liters with a handle. Watering and fertilizing the plant is not difficult - we reach out with a watering can from above and water like flowers. And often gardeners in the same place, on the same level with tomatoes, grow spicy herbs. It is both beautiful and practical.
Subtleties of technology: how tomatoes are planted
You need to follow the instructions:
- A hole about 8 cm in diameter is made in the bottom of the bucket or other container. The capacity is placed on two supports to make it easier to get the bottom.
- Lay a small amount of substrate along the walls of the planting pot. The lower part of the plant extends into the hole; outside the stalk is 4-5 cm. The plant is fixed.
- While holding a tomato, fill the container with earth. The substrate must be well compacted, sprinkling the root of the plant somewhere by 5 cm.
- A compost layer is added.
- The container is again filled with earth so that the substrate level is several cm below the edge of the container.
- Capacity is suspended in a constant place.
- Water the substrate so abundantly that the water comes out of the openings on the bottom of the container. If after watering the soil has slightly settled - this is normal.
- When transporting the container, be careful: tomatoes are easy to break.
Sometimes the container is covered with a lid (but loose!) So that there is no excessive evaporation. The cover is removed before watering. If herbs are planted in the same container, watering will most likely have to be done more often.
The landing option, if not a container but a bucket is used, is fundamentally different. The bucket just then hangs by the handle, and you're done.
Also, as an option, you can use a special kit for growing tomatoes "head down." It consists of a hanging basket, an earthen mix, fertilizers and a finished irrigation system.
What are the "pluses" of such technology
- The first is high productivity. Tomatoes grow down, but there are more. That is, the opportunity to replenish your pantry with tomato rolls is increasing, and you will not have to save on salads with tomatoes in the summer.
- Secondly, saving plot area. Not everyone can afford to build a good greenhouse on the site, but the hinged structures just fit into the space.
- Thirdly, decorative function. Such peculiar plantings look incredibly colorful in the country, on the loggia, in the garden, and they look very appetizing.
- And finally the cultivation of such tomatoes does not entail special conditions, difficulties in care etc. The beds do not need to be weeded and loosened, caterpillars and slugs do not particularly attack such sites. If, however, gluttonous slugs got to the plants, then you can get rid of them with several effective methods, which we already talked about.
- You should not forget about carrying: if you are going to do this, support the processes so as not to deform them. Trellis, sticks are not required at all.
Upside-down tomato planting kit
Disadvantages of growing tomato roots up
Of course, one cannot fail to note them, although they are not numerous:
- the suspension for such tomatoes should be strong and durable;
- sometimes tomatoes "do not obey", they still like to grow in a more familiar way - because of this the trunks may not have a very beautiful shape;
- at the beginning of cultivation, the tomatoes lack the sun: in order to form a good tomato bush, the sun should "work" 7-8 hours a day, and at the beginning of the growth of the bush, the container hangs above it, creating a shadow.
The last drawback is not difficult to fix: you can use plastic bottles of 5 l, the narrowing neck of which is directed downward.
How to care for tomatoes
Leaving is minimal. It consists in the following:
- regular watering;
- weeding is not necessary, but you can occasionally check the soil;
- if the cold suddenly came, unripe tomatoes are removed and placed in a dark place (but this is not necessary).
No other measures need to be taken: weeding, tying up is superfluous.
Is it possible to grow on the balcony
Of course! That is why this method is good, because you can not touch the beds. Just do not forget that the varieties should be small-fruited, which are not only ideal for such a technology of growing the way down, but will also be a decorative decoration for the balcony.
The principle of planting is the same, the capacity can be taken the same (except that it is more chargeable), watered according to the above principle. As soon as the earth dries up - the plant needs to be watered. Dry soil is loosened so that moisture does not evaporate.
In the heat, the room where the tomatoes grow (in our case, a balcony) must be ventilated. Tomatoes also do not like the lack of light, so it’s worth paying attention to this factor.
Tomato Growing Tips
Whether the bushes of a fragrant vegetable grow head up or in the opposite direction, there are some universal tips for growing them.
Tomatoes should be planted and grown in an unconventional way only in special cases: if it comes to some commercial purposes and you are about to plant such tomato-shifter plantations, nothing will come of it. The resulting shadow will not allow to give a good harvest. Therefore, only a few bushes that do not interfere with each other will be appropriate.
Often the cultivation of such tomatoes becomes an exclusively decorative goal. Therefore, on the site you can see the original containers for such tomatoes, including pots. Here you can dream up, decorate your container - and there will be a real piece of art on the site.
Upside down tomato planting technology
Tomatoes grown in such an unusual way are unpretentious in care, decorative, and beautiful as a dish from the category "from the garden to the table." As an option - fine, the yield will be good, and even a beginner will cope with their cultivation. Successful experiments and tasty and bright harvest!